22 January 2015

Son of 2014 Year in Music (Part 2)

As promised, more 2014 music. In case you missed Part I, this is just a quick look at the music I found last year that I at one point or another liked enough to save to my Spotify 2014 playlist. So naturally, most of it I will give positive reviews, but not all of them.

Disclaimer: My listening habits have really changed with older age and newer technology. Instead of absorbing most albums as a hole unit, most of my listening has been collecting large amount of music together and hitting random. This is especially true since circumstances have dictated that I just haven't been able to buy music like I used to, thus the Spotify account.  This means that I haven't really had a chance to absorb most of these albums as albums. I am going back to them as I write these blurbs, thus the idea of the "Instant Rating".

Jack White – Lazaretto


Really, what can I possibly say to make you check this out if you haven't already? I'm a HUGE Jack White fan, and have found that nearly every album he's been a creative part of is better than the last. I have no idea if I'm in the minority or not with that opinion. I'm just aware of the celebrity scene enough to know that Jack has made a bit of a name for himself, and if you were interested you would already have given it a spin.

That said, I'm really enjoying his solo work. I feel that Mr White is maturing as a musician as I'm maturing as a person. He has always showed a deep love and understanding of Rock music, and it's older cousin, the Blues. But now, with just his name on the cover, he seems to feel more free to explore the nooks and crannies of Pop/Rock. There is no real “concept” behind the project, where as the White Stripes, the Raconteurs, and the Dead Weather all seemed to be about specific musical identities. As a solo artist, he is free to hire different musicians for different musical topographies, so his albums sound just a bit less coherent, but also a bit more adventurous.

There really isn't a single song on Lazaretto to sum up the entire thing, but the video for the instrumental High Ball Stepper is kick ass, so enjoy some eye candy and a pretty solid song as well. And then if you're not already a fan, go and listen to the rest of the album in the back ground a few times over the next month or so, and see if maybe you like Jack White after all.



Instant Rating: 7 out of 10

Phish – Fuego


Another legacy band. Chances are pretty decent that you have at least heard of Phish and that you already have made up your mind about them. Maybe you think they're just a jam band, one to see live after you've smoked enough weed to alter the local weather patterns, but that their studio records suck. Certainly many, many Phish-heads would agree with such a statement. But I submit to you that that concept is only half right.

In truth, Phish is two bands, the live jam band where no two shows are alike, and the studio recording band, that has now recorded 12 full LP's. For me, it's a little too soon to say just how good this album is, but it is damn solid! I really thought that Trey and the boys had a major misstep with The Round Room but rebounded a bit with Undermind. 2009's Joy never really caught my attention, either. But Fuego feels a bit more solid. It's not a return to form, as it sounds nothing like the early proggy records, nor the funky Story of the Ghost or even Farmhouse. I'm not even sure I would call it catchy, but every time one of the tracks comes around I find I am just enjoying the experience of listening to it.


I once said that it was impossible to listen to Phish music for more than 20 minutes and not be in a better mood. And I think I will stand by that statement for Fuego. There's nothing deep being said, lyrically or even musically, other than the expression of the joy of playing music. And really, that's all one ever needs.

Instant Raiting: 7 out of 10. This is subject to change (as are all of my ratings) as I absorb it more as a unit and not as separate tracks.

Pat Mastelotto & Tobias Ralph – To Pa Ra Ma


Before I say anything else, I just want to say that the music on this album is AMAZING!

There, that said, you are probably asking yourself, who the fuck are Mastelotto and Ralph? Well, to star with, they are both drummers. Mastelotto has simply played with everbody, including Patti LaBelle, Al Jarreau, XTC, Hall & Oats and Robyn Hitchcock. He was the drummer of Mr Mister, but don't that against him. He first came to my attention when he joined King Crimson in 94. As far as Ralph goes, I have no idea who he is, as Wikipedia doesn't even have a page for him, and the To Pa Ra Ma page just says he is a member of Adrian Belew's band.

Now that we got our introductions out of the way, how is the music? I'm surprised you asked that, cause I already told you its AMAZING. That said, it really won't be for everybody. It is certainly percussion heavy, as you should expect from two drummers. But is isn't really a show off piece. Other instruments are used as well, and the over all effect is that of a Jazz album, but only in the sense that Medeski Martin and Wood put out Jazz albums. It's a combination of electronic sounds and samples and acoustic instruments. In fact, a lot of the sounds that you might think were electronic drums are probably acoustic.


Bottom line is, if you like your music to be catchy with a “hook”, actual verses and choruses, and lyrics you can sing along with, then this probably isn't for you. But, if you like MUSIC, maybe something a bit on the avant garde side of things, then this just might be for you.

Instant Rating: 8.5 out of 10

The Strypes – Snapshot


However, if catchy hooks, verses and choruses, and sing along lyrics are your thing after all, this is the damn album for YOU! The Strypes are four kids (lads?) from Ireland. Somewhere along the line, they raided their grandparent's record collection and wardrobe and decided to start a band. They are retro almost to the point of feeling contrived. But thankfully, it actually feels like they really understand the original British invasion bands and what made them so effing terrific.

I just love the garage band blues inflected music of 65-68 from both sides of the pond. I think that was the height of the innocence of Rock and Roll, before things got so heavy and serious.  (mind you, I also love that heaviness and seriousness, too) Rock was just maturing enough to have some teeth, but still young enough to be exuberant and playful. This is the exact era that The Strypes are trying to emulate, and they do it damn well.


The music on Snapshot is mostly originals, but I think they would have climbed up the charts in 66. Today, I'm afraid, they are a curiosity at best. The oldest member of the band will turn 20 this year, so they are cute kids playing at being mods or rockers right now. If they were 10 years older nobody would have paid the least bit of attention to them. (I can think of at least two local bands in the last ten years that would prove that point.) But what they are doing is real, not just imitation and nostalgia. They have gone to the past to capture the raw energy of youth that is sadly missing from much of today's music. All the modern acts feel so serious and humorless next to these young men that are just out there seemingly having a damn good time.

Instant Rating: 7 out of 10

Okay, four seems like enough for now. I just looked at my 2014 playlist, and we are not quite half way through it so far. I think I will do two more post with 5 reviews each in them, and that should wind it all up. Thanks again for reading, and please leave a comment.

Also, if you are from outside the USA, I especially invite you to comment. My trackers say that I have at least one reader in Canada (Brent?), Ireland, the UK, Belgium (Derek?) and maybe even some from Eastern Europe and Russia. So, if you are from there, or any other nation, just drop a quick note simply saying where you are reading from (or more, if you want to). And if you have some great music from the past few years that isn't known to most people, share that too.

Ciao for now!

 A bonus tune from the Strypes covering Rollin and Tumblin. 

No comments: